Follow the Leeder in Personal Training and Boot Camp!

Follow the Leeder in Personal Training and Boot Camp!

Friday, December 30, 2011

Running on Empty

Wow what a great morning...before the rain came.  I was up til 1am making more Boot Camp signs and up at 7am, putting them up around town.  Coffee in belly, off I went.  After they were up, the sun was out, so now or never for a run.  I'm not a fan of running on an empty stomach.  Some people believe that if you exercise on an empty stomach you will burn more calories, too many mixed opinions on that one.  I say go with what works for you.  Today was OK because it was a small run, 5km.  But if I was to do a work out or longer run, I would definitely have eaten. I have seen too many clients show up for a work out in the morning, haven't eaten anything and then totally bonk in the work out.  I need the energy from the food so I can go all out in my work outs.  When I eat really clean, those are the best and strongest work outs I've ever had.  Right now I'm dragging my butt a bit because I've been eating crap over the holidays.  Think of food as fuel/gas, if you feed your body low quality nutrients, it can't perform that well.  If you feed it high quality nutrients, your energy increases, your mood is better and your work outs get faster and stronger.  If you do work out on an empty stomach, make sure to re fuel RIGHT AFTER your work out.  You have about a 40min. window afterwards to get food into you before you bonk, because your sugar levels are dropping.  So make sure you have a combination of proteins and carbs, to keep the energy flowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment