Follow the Leeder in Personal Training and Boot Camp!

Follow the Leeder in Personal Training and Boot Camp!

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

January 9th...Asparagus soup...really?

I'm always looking for something good to warm me up on a cold wet day...like this entire week so far!  I found in the bottom of my fridge some asparagus and thought...what could I do with this, soup I said!  Did you know, Asparagus has been revered by ancient Greek and Romans as a prized delicacy. One of the oldest recorded vegetables; it is thought to have originated along the coastal regions of eastern Mediterranean and Asia.  
Whats so great about Asaragus...it's super low in calories, one bunch is equal to 20 calories and super high in fiber...cause we all need our fiber, don't we!  Fresh asparagus spears are a good source of anti-oxidants, which help prevent disease.  They are high in Folates( Folic Acid), which help DNA synthesis inside the cell.  The shoots are also rich in B-complex which help with metabolic functions.  And a good source of Vitamin K, which has potential role for bone health. 
 Here's what you need, Chicken stock, one bunch of Asparagus, Olive oil, fresh garlic and Sea salt...
 ...break stems off asparagus, I used 12 stems.  Lightly drizzle olive oil over them and add a pinch of salt and 1 crushed clove of garlic.  NOTE TO SELF...a little garlic goes a long way.  I used one little clove and found it to be very over powering.  Set your oven to 400 degrees and bake for 10mins.
 ...add two cups of chicken stock and asparagus to your food processor and chop til fine.  You could use a blender as well...
 ...pour into a pan, bring to a slight boil and serve!
OK...so not everything I make is geniuses lol!  I had really high hopes for this soup, it was good and tasty but I found the garlic too over-powering.  I think if your in the same boat as me, green onions might work with some Greek seasoning to give it some kick...I will try to add some Almond milk to make it creamier and see if that cuts the garlic...keep you posted!


No comments:

Post a Comment