Follow the Leeder in Personal Training and Boot Camp!

Follow the Leeder in Personal Training and Boot Camp!

Friday, January 11, 2013

January 11th...Chocolate Hummus...who knew!

Alright-y...for those of you who have been following me, you already know that sometimes I can be a bit "adventurous" in trying to come up with great tasting healthy recipes.  Some are total scores, that I eat all the time, and some, after the first bite, get flushed right away.  So I will continue my quest and here we are with Chocolate Hummus.  I've seen so many different versions of this recipe that I finally decided I would give it a go.  This is definitely the healthier version. Many recipes have up to 4 tsp of sugar, and 1-2 tbsp of honey...here's what I came up with...
You will need a food processor...a blender is not going to cut it, and you'll see why in a minute.  Here's what you need, 1 can chickpeas- just under 2 cups, drained and rinsed well. 4 tbsp unsweetened Cocoa powder. 1 tsp vanilla. 1 tbsp Almond butter and 2-3 tbsp of water...
 ...Pour all ingredients into food processor except water, add as needed...
 ...as you can see I tried to use my mini mixer, nope...not gonna happen.  You will need a food processor with some serious power.  I mixed for 1 minute, moved hummus around, and repeated at least 4 times to get thoroughly blended...basically hiding the chickpeas so the kids won't see them! 
 ...I ended up adding 3 tbsp's of water to get a smooth consistency  then the first taste test...
 ...OK it looks more chocolaty than it tastes...so made the usual phone call to Mom, and picked her brain for ideas...if you are an almond lover, I'd suggest adding Almond extract for a punch of flavor without the calories.  In a separate bowl, place a drop or two of extract with some hummus.  Just a reminder, a little goes a long way!  I preferred adding 1 tbsp and a pinch more of Cinnamon and that was good for me...
 ...this could be great to dip fruits in such as apples or bananas.  One suggestion, as this recipe yields just over a cup, you might want to cut the recipe in half and play around with some added flavors.  Nutritional info per 1/2 cup portion: 8g Protein, 16g Carbs, 2.5g fat and 125 cal.


I found this recipe to be "good".  I was happy having 2 tbsp's with an apple and that was enough for me.  I could not bring myself to add sugar to give this recipe the edge it needs.  Above, is a picture of the nutritional info for 1 tbsp of Almond butter.  This with an apple is my "go to" favorite snack and all I need to kick my sweet tooth is 1 tbsp.  So, even though I can have more of the Chocolate Hummus, I think I'd rather spend my calories on the Almond butter!  I'd love to hear your ideas on how to "flavor up" this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment