Follow the Leeder in Personal Training and Boot Camp!

Follow the Leeder in Personal Training and Boot Camp!

Thursday, May 2, 2013

May 2nd...Why Coconut flour is so good for you and Paleo friendly Blueberry muffins!

Nothing like your morning coffee and a muffin.  If your new to the Paleo diet and just getting started, you might think that is something your going to have to give up, muffins, bread and wraps etc...well I'm happy to report that you can have your "muffin" and eat it too!  How?  by using Coconut or Almond flour  as an alternative to white or whole wheat flour.  I always like to know what's in my food and why I it's good for me, so here is some of the health benefits of Coconut flour.  Coconut flour is made from the meat of coconuts after the milk has been removed, and it's loaded with nutrients that offer numerous health benefits.  Such as being Gluten free. Gluten is a protein molecule found in certain grains, such as wheat, barley and rye. Gluten is highly allergenic, and even potentially deadly to those who have celiac disease, which is a condition where the gluten destroys the intestinal celia. However, even if you don't have celiac disease, you can still be negatively affected by the gluten protein. The National Institutes of Health report that exposure to gluten, especially wheat flour, can cause an inflammatory response in the body, even in healthy individuals.  Coconut flour contains almost double the amount of fiber found in wheat bran. Fiber has numerous health benefits, from reducing the absorption of sugar into the blood stream, to lowering cholesterol.  Coconut flour is high in protein, it contains just as much protein as wheat flour, even though it doesn't contain the gluten protein.
The great thing about the internet is that you can punch in Paleo muffins and instantly you have a wide variety of "Paleo friendly" choices.  So I chose one of my all time favorite muffins, Blueberry!  I was inspired to make these after one of my clients Joleen, brought me one of hers to try.  It was so yummy and moist, that I finally got my butt in gear and made them!  Here's what you need...

-1/2 cup of Coconut Flour
-4 ½ tablespoons of Coconut Oil
-6 Eggs
-4 tablespoons of milk (coconut milk, etc. or if can have dairy) or water
-1/2 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
-1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
-1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
-1 teaspoon Cinnamon
-1/4 teaspoon sea salt
-2 tablespoons Honey or Stevia (optional)
-1/2 cup of blueberries
(so in my picture above, I missing the salt and apple cider vinegar...opps not enough coffee today)
The recipe calls for Coconut oil, make sure you melt it on low on the stove, DO NOT MICROWAVE the oil as it breaks it down!  AND let it cool before adding to the wet mixture as you don't want to cook the eggs!
Mix wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls, be sure to whisk the wet ingredients well...put some muscle into it!  Then combine them together, add blueberries last so they don't get mushed by your powerful whisking!  Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15mins...I ended up baking them for 19 mins...all ovens are different.
OK I'm a fan of lining my muffin trays because I have lost too many pans from burnt on food!  I got 12 muffins from this recipe...
 Loaded with blueberries and a fresh cup of coffee, I'm a happy camper!
I left a crumb here so you'd know how good these were...I actually ate that crumb!

No comments:

Post a Comment