Follow the Leeder in Personal Training and Boot Camp!

Follow the Leeder in Personal Training and Boot Camp!

Saturday, May 25, 2013

May 25th...Apple Pie Energy Balls!

Energy balls are one of my favorite go-to snacks.  They are the perfect snack to have before or after a workout, to pack on a hike, to take to work for the 3 pm tummy growl and your kids will love them too!  You can pretty much add anything you want to them, so I decided to make "Apple Pie" flavor...
OK super helpful tip from one of my Boot Campers Janine, she told me to soak the dates in warm water while I set everything up, so about 5-10 mins.  This helps to break apart the dates and soften them up.  By softening up the dates, they mix up easier in the food processor.  Last time I made power balls, I didn't soak the dates...I almost burnt out the motor, because my food processor was vibrating all over the counter, it was working so hard to chop up those dates!   
See this giant container of nuts and seeds, my Mom gave it to me and I figured I'd better use it up.  Here's one of my helpful tips...put all your nuts and seeds in the food processor FIRST, and chop them up to the consistency you want...don't go too crazy as you might end up with nut butter! I also added the cinnamon in with the nut and seed mixture just to make sure it blended in evenly...
Drain the dates really well, I actually squeezed the extra water out with my hands...I chopped up the dried apples first because I thought they might not get as finely chopped up once I added the dates...I was right...
Then pour your nuts and seeds and mix together...I don't have the "newest" food processor so I don't think the motor is that strong.  I had to end up using my own muscle and continue to mix in the nuts further... 
Now were almost done.  As you can see I have set up an assembly line...energy ball mixture, sesame bath, and lined tray.  Scoop out your desired size of ball, roll in hand and then place the balls in sesame bath.  Roll several balls at once.  The reason for the sesame seeds, is so that the balls don't stick together and so they don't sick to your hands when you pick them up.  Place on them on a wax paper sheet.  If you plan on freezing them, layer the balls with a sheet of wax paper between them.  Place in fridge til they harden, then place in an air tight container or baggie and into the freezer they go!
I have to say, this is the first time I pre-soaked the dates and WHAT A DIFFERENCE in taste.  The balls have sooo much more flavor, that little bit of moisture, unleashed the sweetness big time.  I found them so sweet that I made the balls just into bite size pieces.  I ended up with 70 balls in total.  So get creative and see what tasty flavors you can come up with, enjoy!  

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 1/2 cups dates, soaked and pitted
  • 1 cup dried apple rings
  • 1/2 cup raw almonds
  • 1/2 cup raw hazel nuts
  • 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seed
  • 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup of sesame seeds to roll the balls in.

No comments:

Post a Comment