Follow the Leeder in Personal Training and Boot Camp!

Follow the Leeder in Personal Training and Boot Camp!

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

April 10th...Fish Tacos!

Well day 3 into the Paleo diet and I have to say it gets easier as the days go by.  The whole concept of "going Paleo" seems overwhelming, but once you dig in and do a little reading about it and try out some recipes, it's not all that bad.  It's like riding a bike, your gonna fall off and maybe use the wrong gears, but eventually you get the hang of it and just do it without thinking.  A Paleo lifestyle is the same thing, you try it out for a bit, feel great but not ready to give up the starchy carbs...bread or sugar yet.  You go back to old habits and feel like crap and suddenly you realize that when you ate better, you felt better.  So you try again, and again and sooner or later, your just making better food choices.  I ate 6 chocolate Easter eggs again yesterday, not the end of the world, I feel great today...and out of chocolate, so I'm on track!  
This book above, I love it! One of my clients, Diana dropped it buy for me to check out as she bought it to get ready to go Paleo.  Awesome recipes, easy to follow instructions, lots of inexpensive ingredients you can get at your local market and I love the picture index of all the meals at the front, so very user friendly.  So this week, I'm trying out a variety of recipes out of this book and see how they hold up!  Let's started...Fish Tacos!
You can use whatever fish you like, I'm using Halibut...
Prepare the marinade for the fish first...freshly squeeze juice from 1 lime, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/4 tsp chipotle powder, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp sea salt...whisk all together...
Place fish in baking dish and pour marinade over.  The recipe said to gently rub in the spices and soak for 15 mins.  I just let it sit for an hour and flipped them every 15 mins.  Now let's get cook'n!  Heat your skillet up on medium, place fish in the pan with the extra marinade.  Cook each side for about 4 mins, depending on thickness and size.  Be careful to not overcook...the fish should flake easily, then it's done.  Gently remove from bone and be sure to get any of the little bones as well.  
Now lets build our Fish Taco...I like to use iceberg lettuce as it has a crunch, butter lettuce is too soft for me.  We start with the lettuce as our shell, then add coleslaw, some chopped up mango, your fish and a sprinkle of cilantro.  There you have it, super light meal, big on flavor.   The original recipe had a dressing on the coleslaw made with a homemade mayo, I didn't have time, or want to make the mayo as I don't use it.  So I added salsa onto the coleslaw to give it a little extra umf!  So many ways to prepare the fish...next time I'm going to try Thai and mix up the coleslaw with veggies instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment