Follow the Leeder in Personal Training and Boot Camp!

Follow the Leeder in Personal Training and Boot Camp!

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

January 15th...Day 2 what's for lunch...Shrimp Tacos!

Alright day 2 and we are underway!  I thought I'd share this recipe because I like to call it "a multi-tasker" kinda recipe.  What does that mean...well you have your base recipe, in this case a lettuce wrap taco, filled with veggies.  Then you choose your protein, and sauce.  So many different variations, you could eat this for weeks and not run out of ideas...maybe I'll try that.  Do a weekly lettuce wrap, send me your ideas for flavor combos!  Here's what we have below...Thai shrimp taco!
One head of Romaine lettuce, cucumber, green onions, red & yellow peppers, bean sprouts, cilantro and I forgot to add to the picture a carrot.  The dressing is Renee's Asian Sesame and I have 1 cup of shrimp.
                                   
 I used frozen pre-cooked shrimp, thawed it out and removed the tips.  In the pan saute shrimp on low with 1 tsp of dressing... 
...meanwhile cut the tips and end off your head of lettuce.  Place 3 leafs on a plate, you might have to break the spine a little to get the leafs to open up...


 ...chop up 1/2 cup red and yellow pepper, and cucumber.  Shred 1/3 cup carrot and about 1 tbsp green onion.  I added 2 tbsp of chopped cilantro, use less or more as desired.  Then add 1 tbsp of dressing and mix together...
Now build your taco...divide veggie mix over 3 leaves, add desired amount of  bean sprouts...go crazy here, as there are no extra calories and they add a great crunch.  I got about six or seven shrimp on each, as my husband kept stealing them out of the pan!  Then sprinkle 1 tbsp of sliced almonds over all of the tacos...little extra crunch and protein.  
I ate two of these and was full, they are a bit messy but so refreshing and light, yet full of flavor. I made these for our own Alison Harle's birthday dinner and they were a hit!  Did you know that each shrimp is only about 7 calories and 1 gram of protein, so in one taco you have 7g of protein, plus a bit from the almonds.  Calorie wise the dressing has 45 cal per tbsp.  We divided that over 3 tacos so 15 cal. from dressing.  Over all these are about 80 calories each with 8g of protein each!  So dig in and enjoy!  Send me your recipe ideas to change up the flavor for this one, we could do a weekly "taco" flavor!

No comments:

Post a Comment