Follow the Leeder in Personal Training and Boot Camp!

Follow the Leeder in Personal Training and Boot Camp!

Thursday, March 7, 2013

March 7th...Tomato, white bean and Kale soup, you can "forget about!"

Slow-cooker soup, doesn't get any easier than this...a soup you just throw in the pot and forget about it, what could better!  One of our very own Boot Campers, Diana brought over a bowl for me to try.  After our am class was over, I hurried upstairs and inhaled it!  So light and refreshing AND bursting with flavor!  I got up early this morning and made it, and I have to say my house smells sooo good from this pot of soup.  I was excited to make this soup because it's super healthy and packed with Kale.  I knew once the Kale softened up, the kids wouldn't even notice it!  
 It took me 10 mins. to prep the ingredients and then I threw it all in the slow-cooker...
 As you can see it is filled to the top!  I put the heat on low and after 4 hours checked to see if the carrots had softened up yet, nope!  So I turned it up to high for another 2 hours.  I might have had it so full, that the lid wasn't 100% sealed on the pot, so a bit of the heat might have escaped...
This is one hearty, and super healthy bowl of soup!  I also pre-cooked some chicken breasts, chopped them up and added them at the end just to increase the protein.  Each serving of 1 cup is equal to 135 cal. 6 g. protein. 6 g fiber. 2.5 g fat. 24 g carbs.

Here's what you'll need:
1 1/2 cups chopped sweet onion
1 cup each diced carrots and celery
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp dried fennel seeds
4 cups reduced sodium vegetable broth
1 can / 28 oz no-sodium diced tomatoes
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp Sea salt and pepper
1 Bay leaf
1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
3 cups chopped Kale leaves
8 whole Basil leaves, chopped

Note to self...if you like a thicker based soup, put in a hand-blender for a few seconds until desired consistency, enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment