Follow the Leeder in Personal Training and Boot Camp!

Follow the Leeder in Personal Training and Boot Camp!

Monday, February 4, 2013

February 4th...Lara Bar!

Hello Monday!  I would like to focus this week on snacks because we NEED them!  Are you a mid-morning, mid-afternoon or late night snacker?  Some days I'm all three, depending on how crazy my day is or how my mood is.  I find if I snack throughout the day on a variety of foods, I'm less likely to crave anything bad.  I think it's because I'm eating every 2-3 hours which keeps my sugar levels balanced and hunger at bay plus by eating small meals combined with a protein and a carb, keeps my energy level up.  This recipe below is a repeat post, one of my many favorites, called the LARA Bar.

The Lara Bar is a commercial bar like the Power Bar, I found the recipe and "cleaned" it up a bit! Here's what you'll need...
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups pitted dates / 3/4 Almonds / 3/4 Cashews / 3/4 dried berries / 2 pieces Dark Chocolate / 2 tbsp Coco powder / 2 tbsp. Flax seed & Wheat germ / 1/4 cup honey.
Use the food processor to chop up the nuts and seeds first, pour out into separate bowl...see above picture.  Then, chop up dates and dried berries.  Cut up dark chocolate into fine pieces and add altogether.  Slowly add the Coco powder and honey.(if you warm the honey up slightly in the microwave, it will mix better).  NOTE, if you find the dates rolling up into a ball, pour half the mix out, repeat chopping in food processor to get the dates better broken down.  You want the mix to come out sort of powdery and loose...
  
Line baking pan with parchment paper, pour in mixture and press into pan with backside of spoon.  Leave in fridge 1-2 hours, to harden.

Lift out of pan and cut into whatever size pieces you want...I did "bar" and "snack" sizes.  Put in an air tight container to keep fresh or put away in the freezer for later.  So I figured out the calorie count.  If you can get 20 bars out of the pan, it works out to be 130 cal. per bar...I have 18 above,( 143 calories) note they are about an inch thick at least.  The commercial Lara Bar I think was 210 cal. and thinner than mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment