Follow the Leeder in Personal Training and Boot Camp!

Follow the Leeder in Personal Training and Boot Camp!

Saturday, February 2, 2013

February 2nd...Healthy snacks, roasted chickpeas!

Now that we are entering week three of the contest, I would like to focus this up coming week on healthy snack ideas...I've heard a couple people toss around the idea of roasted chickpeas.  At first I was feeling a little hesitant about my baking adventures with chickpeas.  Last year I did a post on chickpea cookies, the idea was great and so was the first one or two cookies...but somethings you just don't mess with, that was one of them.  So here we go!
 All you need is one can of chickpeas, and Olive oil...just having a thought right now, I wonder how the chickpeas would taste if I had used Coconut oil?...next batch!  Then choose some of your flavorite seasoning.  I used Barbque, Smoked Applewood and Garlicky Dill...
Drain liquid from can and then rinse chickpeas with water.   Lightly dry off with paper towel.  I used 1/2 tsp olive oil and about the same for seasoning for each different flavor.  Bake at 450 degree for about 35mins. total...at 25mins. toss them around so that the bottoms don't get burnt.  Below, is what the chickpeas look like roasted! 
I read several recipes and one mentioned to dry roast the chickpeas and add oil and seasoning after, have to try that for the next batch...
And here they are!...the Barbque and Smoked Applewood had the most flavor.   If I could stomach spicy or hot food, these would be perfect with chili powder or even Thai.  You can Google them and several great combinations will come up.  I also thought these would be great salad toppers or anything that needed a little crunch added to it!  Keep in an air tight container and should last several days.  Great snack idea, 1/2 cup of these with an apple!
Nutritional info: 1/2 cup of roasted chickpeas is 105 cal. 1.5g fat. 17 carbs. 3.5g fiber. 0.5g sugar. 5.5g protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment