Follow the Leeder in Personal Training and Boot Camp!

Follow the Leeder in Personal Training and Boot Camp!

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

November 27th...Quinoa granola...yes I said Quinoa!

 Yes! Home made Granola, healthy and good for your waist line. My "official" food scout and Sista-in-law Lara, found a recipe for Quinoa granola.  Weird...was the first thought that came to mind...then, when I started cooking it in the Coconut milk, I was a little afraid. I poured the sloppy concoction onto the pan and thought, did I just waste all this money on ingredients...NOPE! OMG so yummy, and I got 2 pan fulls of the stuff!  Why is Quinoa named as a "superfood", because it's high in protein, Gluten-free, and contains 9 of the essential Amino Acids.  Just Goggle "Quinoa" and see for yourself. Here's what you need!     
 Bring the quinoa, your choice of "milk", spices and vanilla to a boil...
 ...in the meantime, mix the pumpkin, maple syrup, seeds and cranberries together.  Once the liquid starts to boil, lower the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, depending on when the quinoa is done.
 ...below is a picture of the cooked quinoa, see how the liquid has been fully absorbed...
 ...then pour the pumpkin mixture into the quinoa pot and stir well.  Spread the wet granola onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 60-75mins.  at 350 degrees.  Remember to mix every 20 minutes to get evenly brown. In the picture below, I have spread mine out on 2 cookie sheets, otherwise it would have been too thick.   

 Here's what it looks like after 20min. just starting to get crispy...
 Then at 40mins...the smell in the kitchen is making me hungry!
 At 1 hour I pulled out one pan and left the other in, for another 10mins.  Be sure to mix in the edges, as they are the first to get burnt.  I did the "official" taste test with some Greek yogurt, I'm hooked!
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Per 1/3 cup serving- 83 cal./ 2g protein / 2.7g fat / 7g sugar / 1g fiber.

INGREDIENTS:                                                                  
1 1/2 cups dry quinoa                                         
2 cups of either Rice, Almond or Coconut Milk        

1 tsp cinnamon spice (got it at Walmart)              
2 tbsp vanilla                                                    

1/4 cup pumpkin puree                                        
1/2 cup maple syrup                                           
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup cranberries

1/4 Almonds
1/4 Sunflower seeds
2 tbsp chia seeds

...did you know quinoa is a seed, not a grain...

1 comment:

  1. Have to agree with her ... it's super yummy! I think I will have to be making my own batch of this goodness for my household too :-)

    Thanks for sharing Mel!

    ReplyDelete