Follow the Leeder in Personal Training and Boot Camp!

Follow the Leeder in Personal Training and Boot Camp!

Monday, November 19, 2012

November 19th...Homemade salsa, big on taste, low on calories!

 YUM! I could live off of homemade mango salsa...I love, love, love lime and cilantro! My kitchen smells sooo good right now with fresh cilantro in the air.  I feel like I'm off on some hot, desert Island, where there is no rain or kids!  OK, OK, SNAP OUT OF IT!  Salsa rocks, why?  Because it adds so much flavor, it's super healthy and super low in calories.  Here's what you need OR you can use a combination of whatever fruit and veggie combo's you like...1/2 red pepper, 1 mango, 1/2 cucumber, 1/2 avocado, 1/4 cup green onions and as much cilantro as you like!

 Dice up all veggies and toss together, EXCEPT the avocado...add it at the very end because it tends to get mushy.  Dressing is 1 tbsp Olive oil and 1/2 lime juice, freshly squeezed.  Add Sea salt and pepper to taste, whisk together...NOTE, the lime juice can be over-powering, so maybe add a little at a time to make your dressing and taste as you go.  Add avocado and toss lightly.  
There is so much flavor in this bowl!  Add your favorite salsa to foods like baked chicken or fish.  Above is a picture of a chicken wrap.  I used Iceberg lettuce as the wrap instead of a regular bread wrap( which contains almost 200 cal.) and filled it with whatever I like.  My wrap above has about 1/2 cup of cooked chicken breast, 1/2 cup of homemade salsa and is under 150 cal.!!! Two of these and you'd be full.  I'll give you one last heads up...not the kind of meal you serve on a first date! It can get a little messy if you don't wrap it tight...not too sexy with cilantro stuck in your teeth, just say'n!

No comments:

Post a Comment