Follow the Leeder in Personal Training and Boot Camp!

Follow the Leeder in Personal Training and Boot Camp!

Monday, May 20, 2013

May 20th...Discovering "Carrot & Dill" soup while preparing for MOMAR!


My partner in crime, Alison and I, had the perfect day on Friday for starting our MOMAR(Mind over Mountain Adventure Race)training.  We hopped on our mountain bikes and headed towards Sooke via the Goose trail.  I have to say, I was a weee bit hesitant about getting on a bike because it's been so long.  I reminded Alison of this as we road our bikes out of her yard and headed down a very steep dirt trail...did I mention I had only one brake and did I mention I hadn't been on a bike in YEARS!  I borrowed one of Alison's bikes and was totally unfamiliar with the gearing system, let's just say I walked the bike up all the hills and skidded down the steep hills...at one point I was so excited because I thought I had it in the right gear but as I turned the corner I suddenly realized I was going up a hill, not down.  So off I got, before I fell off and walked the bike up the hill...AGAIN!  We stopped by The Stickelback West Coast Eatery to replenish ourselves since we had been riding for at least 35 mins.! We had the most Delicious Carrot and dill soup and all I could think of is how could I make this Paleo friendly...so here it is...
Low-sodium chicken broth, low-fat coconut milk, one pound of carrots, green onions, garlic clove, one onion, and fresh dill...
 Peel and chop one pound of carrots, place into pot and boil until tender.  Saute one onion and 1 tsp crushed garlic in a bit of olive oil until onions are clear...
 Once carrots are tender, drain out water and add 3 1/2 cups of chicken broth. Add your onions, garlic and simmer on low with the lid on, for about 25 minutes...
Then, you can either puree the soup in a food processor or in the pot with hand mixer...
Add 3/4 cup of light-Coconut milk, 2 tbsp chives or green onions and 2 tbsp fresh chopped dill.  Mix in and simmer on low for about 5 minutes...
And here you have it, yum!  I really liked this soup even though it's not as rich and thick as the one at the restaurant.  I preferred my "lighter" version which I choose to substitute the cream with light Coconut milk.  What I love about my soup is that it's light on your waist-line and that the richness doesn't over power the fresh dill.
What a great way to kick off our training!

No comments:

Post a Comment