Follow the Leeder in Personal Training and Boot Camp!

Follow the Leeder in Personal Training and Boot Camp!

Thursday, July 18, 2013

July 18th...Burgers: Beef & Pork Apple Spice burgers!

Arrrrg!  The on-going saga of "whats for dinner?"  Were well into summer and I'm bored with hamburgers already...so I thought let's shake things up a bit.  I cruised through my cook books and the internet seeing what I made my taste buds water.  I came across a pork and stuffing style burger...I'm doing the Paleo diet so bread/stuffing is a no-no...here's what I made...
 I combined lean ground beef and pork.  Apparently the pork makes for a juicier burger.  I'm using Italian spice, garlic powder, Sea salt and pepper, 2 apples and an onion...
 Chop the apples and onions up into into little pieces and I say "little" because I did not do that.  It's not a huge deal, it's just that when I put the burgers on the bar-b-q, I ended up loosing some of the apples and onions off the edges because they were too big to be held in by the mixture...
 I used 2 packages of meat, one pork and one beef.  I can't stand recipes that serve 4pp...I have 3 boys and a husband, so I'm looking for realistic recipes that will leave me with left-overs for the next night or to freeze and save for later...come on people were hungry here...4pp serving WTF!  As you can see I have separated the mixture into 2 bowls.  Good thing I take pictures after the fact, because I tried to mix this all together in one bowl, what a mess all over the counter!
This recipe made me 14 burgers and one mini one.  As you can see the burgers are a good size and so are the pieces of apple lol!  Don't be afraid to make your burgers big as they will shrink up on the bar-b-que.  These were just a little bit bigger than the palm of my hand.  Cook burgers on medium on the bar-b-que for about 6-7 mins. per side.
OK these turned out really good!  Super moist and super tasty.  I served mine on a bed of coleslaw mixed with 2 tbsp of Guacamole.  The burger is about 240 calories for the size I made.  I was thinking a little dash of cinnamon would have been good as well, next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment